Kuala Lumpur

16th November – 22nd November

Our penultimate location before heading to Australia was, rather spontaneously, Kuala Lumpur and to our complete surprise, the journey to our hotel ran far from smoothly.

Upon arriving at our gate at the airport, we became aware of a rather unwelcoming sight: a small, screaming child styling a mohican with parents that did not have a hope in hell of controlling a snail, let alone a child. So of course, as our luck goes, they were sat directly behind us on the plane. With the child kicking Karis’ chair and screaming at every given opportunity, whilst it’s overweight father coughed up his lungs in what felt like my ear, we very swiftly grabbed our hand luggage and darted to the first free seats we could find.

Upon arriving at the Kuala Lumpur airport, we discovered that it worked out cheaper to get a taxi rather than catch the train to our apartment – sounds logical, right? As we were cruising back to the hotel in our luxuriously air conditioned taxi we felt like royalty (whilst trying to ignore the numerous cracks in the windscreen). However, our situation really was too good to be true and minutes later we found ourselves stranded on the side of the motorway with a flat tyre awaiting, as the driver said whilst smiling, ‘rescue’ from another of the firms taxis.


But things soon got much, much better after this minor hiccup. We were greeted by this lavish view upon arrival at our apartment, which only got better at night and during sunrise.



But to add to this magic, the block had its own pool, bar and shop. Also, next door was a train station that connected us to the city and a shopping mall that contained Starbucks, Nandos, a cinema (where we watched fantastic beasts and where to find them) and many other establishments that made us go weak at the knees.

This luck, as always, soon changed after Karis fell ill and we had to seek medical help from the local doctors (spoiler: she’s recovered).

During our time in this amazing city, we visited the national museum, Central market and the Petronas towers, which we watched at sunset light up.


On our final day, we decided to visit the Batu caves, which despite currently being a building site, was a very impressive tourist location.



In order to make it to the summit, you must conquer a small 272 steps. After climbing and surviving the steps to admire the views, it’s beauty was very much interrupted by a man who in short shot a firework at a cave wall. This gentleman, a tour guide stated, was in a fact a monkey scarer – but considering how many monkeys still loitered, it was fair to say he was pretty rubbish at his job.


In Britain we have seagulls, but in Malaysia they have monkeys – and lots of them. Whilst they can be cute to look at as they cradle their young, it is clear they are major pests. Therefore, anybody with a brain would know that to feed them, let alone touch them, would be an extremely bad idea. Yet many people still did. One gentleman almost got attacked after trying to stroke a monkeys face, whilst another couple chucked their food on the floor and ran in fright.


Our departure was all too similar to our arrival – highly stressful. We ordered an uber to our apartment. But instead, it went to the apartment next door. So whilst we were pacing up and down worrying that we wouldn’t make it in time to catch our plane, the driver was waiting just two minutes away completely oblivious to our stressed states. However, we soon realised the error and ran to find the taxi that took us to the airport to catch our flight back to Bangkok.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s